Friday, August 04, 2006

Back ass Iowa

Wednesday the kids and I headed over to see my dad where he was staying in Guttenberg Iowa. It's a little hole in the wall town right along the Mississippi River. I took some wacky back roads to get there and it's been quite a long time since I've travelled through rinky dink little towns like that. There was one called New Vienna that had a beautiful old Catholic church. It was massive and hard to believe that a town of a few hundred people could keep a church that big in business. Not to mention that there couldn't have been that many young boys in town to be altar boys.....so you'd think that right there would be enough to close down a Catholic church. ;)
So we only stayed one night in Guttenberg as there isn't that much to do and my dad was staying in a camper, so not very much room either. We did take the kids on the ferry across the river, though. Emma slept through it, but Kyle thought it was fun.
Yesterday we drove more back roads to my mom's house. Clinton may not be great but at least I feel like we're in civilization.

No comments: