Sunday, June 11, 2006

Never shop with a 3 or 8 year old

So today Rob and Chris were working hard putting up the fence. I really needed to run some errands, Target, grocery store, ect. With the guys being busy, I had to take the kids with me. I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I had no idea I would have murder on my mind the entire time. Our first stop was Kyle's new school. I had told him that we could go there and check out the building and the playground, but when we got there, they had the orange construction fence around it as if they were working on it. Disappointment #1. Our next stop was McDonald's in Johnston. I had never been to this particular one, but it was the closest one to the Target we were going to, so I chose it. When we got there we realized it didn't have a play area. Disappointment #2. The kids were annoying while we ate....fighting over who got what toy, who was eating more of the caramel dip, who was sitting next to me, ect. When we left, Emma was running on the sidewalk on the way to the car with her drink in one hand and her toy in the other. She tripped and fell on what would have been her hands and knees, but since her hands were full, she fell on her knees and then ricocheted off the sidewalk with her chin. She was screaming bloody murder after that. I, on the other hand was laughing my ass off because it was the funniest shit I had seen in a long time. Smack....boing.
Then we went to Target. We got one of those carts that has the seating for 2 kids in the back. They sat in there for awhile but then kept unbuckling and getting out. I had to tell them to settle down, or get over here aout 200 times. The funniest part....again at Emma's expense....was that Emma didn't want to buckle, so when she was sitting down and I started moving, she fell out. This time Kyle laughed.
After that we headed over to Aldi's. This was really the test of motherhood for me.
I realized, a little too late, that I'd forgotten to give Kyle his pill this morning. So it was a contant battle for me to keep my cool and not strangle them. They were fighting, getting in and out of the cart, taking stuff of shelves...you name it. And Kyle thinks he is Emma's keeper, so he is always trying to discipline her. Ugh.....I had had enough.
I didn't even get everything that I wanted to get, but it was time to come home. Disappointment #3.

No comments: