Monday, September 04, 2006

Stand, Sit, Kneel

Lately the family and I have been trying out different churches around town. I was raised Catholic, Rob Lutheran, and the kids were baptized as Lutherans. Over the years though we've kind of gotten soured by organized religion and hadn't been going to church on a regular basis. After we moved I thought it was high time that we go back. So we decided to look for a church that we felt comfortable in, rather than was sect it was. Last week we went to the Lutheran church and when we got there we realized it was a contemporary service. Meaning drum kits and guitar solos...ugh. Although it wasn't my cup of tea, the kids loved it. Kyle was clapping along and Emma was dancing....so it may have been worth it to get them excited about church. This Sunday was the Catholic church. I haven't been to a Catholic mass in YEARS. It was so crazy how everything was exactly the same, every word, gesture, all of it. It was like a time warp for me.....I still knew the Nicene Creed word for word, I still knew to "have the word of God in my thoughts, on my lips, and in my heart" after the "Gospel according to John"....it was as if I hadn't missed a day. Too bad my kids had never seen holy water and the mass was so traditional and stuffy that we probably won't go back. I don't really know what I'm looking for in a church, but I know that jam sessions aren't it, and stuffy Latin laced sermons aren't it either.
It did make me think of this hilarious Stephen Colbert video from Strangers With Candy because we sang this song all the time at church when I was kid. Another thing I knew word for word. ;)
a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow -- do I know this same feeling!Although in Arizona, we are surrounded by Mormons and "Christians" I have many a friend you have left the Catholic Church to turn to "bible" churchs, or Christian. If you didn't like the up beat service, most offer a traditional service also. Good Luck - but I'm sure when you find it - you'll know. Angie Ocker (mackin) I'm sure we spent many a mass staring at the back of one anothers head!

Trish said...

Yes, and many a mass, kneeling with our heads bowed as if in prayer, but really just staring at old lady cankles as they were walking up for their communion wafers. ;)